Hot Spot - Jammin' Java





I used to hear about Jammin' Java all the time since I was always out and about and listening to music....


Ive always seen what has been familiar to me...Ive enjoyed the bar bands here in Southern Maryland and Ive always gone up to Baltimore to see my good friend Rob Fahey, one of the best songwriters and acoustic guitar players around.....(more on Rob at a later time)....Ive been into DC to see bands that Ive known of, known or bands that were once very popular and now are doing the smaller club circuit...I love the Birchmere, The Rams Head Franchises, and lots of local little watering holes between Southern Maryland and Baltimore....

Back in November, a favorite musician, Michael Tolcher, was listing on his facebook page that he was going to be performing shows here on the east coast and to inquire within....so, being as I was a huge fan of his music, I inquired within.....he sent me a very nice email and told me that he was going to be hosting a house show with his friend, Cathi.  He connected me and Cathi and I will forever be in his debt for introducing me to someone who feels about music like I do....on a greater level too!...I thought I was a music freak....this little lady is a music dynamo....we became INSTANT friends and I love her dearly for her music tastes and her warm and inviting heart!  Cathi lives in Northern Virginia and she has opened up a whole new world for me....

Im digressing a bit...

Cathi has invited me to her shows and been awesome company for me feeding my music obsession....she invited me to her Michael Tolcher house show and I was hooked!  I knew that this is where seeing music was going to be --- Northern Virginia has sooo much music that i didnt even realize!  

Ive been to two of her house shows - the afore mentioned Michael Tolcher and Deep River - seeing these musicians opened up my eyes to more and more and when Deep River said they were going to be having a gig at Jammin' Java, I was like cool, cant wait....

What a GREAT VENUE! Their web page's 'about' page says the following:

Jammin’ Java is one of the premier concert venues in the United States and remains a staple of the Washington, DC area music community. We are run by musicians and music-lovers for musicians and music-lovers alike. We feature live music seven nights a week and kids concerts as many as seven mornings a week.  Ranked as one of the top 100 clubs in the world according to ticket sales by Pollstar Magazine, Jammin’ Java has played host to thousands of musicians since it’s inception in October of 2001, including new superstars like Citizen Cope, Paramore and Butch Walker, indie-darlings such as Ingrid Michaelson and Bon Iver, long time favorites like Leon Russell and original Beatles drummer Pete Best and local stars like Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun and Eddie from Ohio.

The vibe I get in Jammin Java is a close, tight knit core of people who have made Jammin Java their place to go for fun, friends and of course, awesome music and shows.  Aside from serving food and having a small bar area, you dont really feel as if you are in the everyday bar....you are in an intimate setting - one that almost feels as if you could be in theatre in some one's garage - its comfortable, dimly lit and intimate.....sitting in the front row of this venue for the three shows Ive been to, I feel as if I couldnt be any closer without being on stage - but not in an uncomfortable way.  Ive been blessed cos' Cathi always saves me a seat with her so I dont have to sit back further but Im not so sure sitting further back would be so bad....

And they have had some amazing acts there!  Besides seeing Michael Tolcher and Deep River, I was blessed to see Luke Brindley and friends, an amazing event of Luke and about a dozen other musicians performing all of Luke's music, he had an amazing opening act, Boots Factor and then as I searched on all the musicians that were with Luke, they all have played at JJ and they all sound amazing too....I saw that JJ had a band a friend had told me about, The Pretty Reckless, tonight is Marcy Playground (remember the song Sex and Candy?}, Michelle Shocked is coming and there are many many indie, off the beaten path artists that will be performing there in the upcoming months...

Jammin Java ISNT hard to get to - even for us Southern Marylanders....I encourage all to make an evening of it - they have great food, a relaxing atmosphere and amazing music....

And, its owned and operated by the Brindley Brothers - some of the greatest fellas you can meet...more on them later....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite place.....

Buddy Rich - A jazz drumming legend....stolen items!

FANTASTIC CAT: THE HAMILTON, WASHINGTON, DC: AUGUST 14, 2024